Take Away English 随身英语 1 July 2013 Coffee's popularity 对咖啡的热爱 Vocabulary: coffee 词汇: 咖啡
Do you drink a lot of coffee? The water boiling in the kettle, the aroma, the first mouthful from the cup in the morning – so many people see it as part of a ritual that it inspired an expression in English: 'Wake up and smell the coffee!'
I read the other day in the New Scientist magazine that coffee contains a stimulant, caffeine, which is the planet's most popular "psychoactive drug". In the United States alone, more than 90% of adults are estimated to use it every day. That's a lot of people!
Organisations which research public health thought it too. They're concerned about the addition of caffeine to products such as waffles, energy drinks and chewing gum. Lynne Goldman, dean of the George Washington University School of Public Health, says that many people don't know how much caffeine they are taking. As a result they could have insomnia, indigestion or high blood pressure.
I don't want to have any of that but I must say that when I can't have any coffee I feel a bit tired, have a mild headache and find it difficult to concentrate. Scientists say that these must be the withdrawal symptoms of caffeine - because coffee can cause an addiction.
But if you are a coffee lover like me, you shouldn't be afraid because inmoderation, caffeine may have some positive effects. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition linked drinking coffee and tea with a lower risk of diabetes.
There is an interesting story behind the use of coffee. Stephen Braun, author of Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine, says that the substance became popular in Europe with the industrial revolution. There was a race for productivity during that time.
And some famous people believed that coffee has creative powers. French novelist and playwright Honoré de Balzac and German composer Ludwig van Beethoven are said to have liked it a lot. American film-maker David Lynch ate at the same Los Angeles diner every day for seven
years. He drank up to seven cups of coffee with lots of sugar every time, which he said
would guarantee him "lots of ideas".
What about you: Does coffee fill you with ideas? Is it an important part of your social life?
British Broadcasting Corporation 2013
阅读短文并回答问题。 1. How many people in the US are believed to consume caffeine daily?
2. Is this statement true or false? Coffee drinkers might get insomnia if they don't have
3. According to the article, when did coffee become popular?
5. Which expression means 'something you do regularly as part of a routine'?
Exercise 练习 请你在不参考课文的情况下完成下列练习。从每个表格中选择一个意思合适的单词填入句子 的空格处。 1. I need to have a hot beverage every morning with my toast and jam. Coffee is the perfect
2. You can't spend so much money on shoes if you don't have a job. Wake up and
3. This aspirin might help you with your __________.
4. If you don't want to get fat, you should eat chocolate _________.
5. A compliment from the boss is a good __________ for a hard-working employee.
Answers and Glossary 答案与词汇 Quiz 小测验 1. How many people in the US are believed to consume caffeine daily? 90% of adults.
2. Is this statement true or false? Coffee drinkers might get insomnia if they don't have their usual cup. False. People might get insomnia if they drink too much coffee.
3. According to the article, when did coffee become popular? During the industrial revolution.
4. Who liked sweetened coffee? American film-maker David Lynch.
5. Which expression means 'something you do regularly as part of a routine'? A ritual.
1. I need to have a hot beverage every morning with my toast and jam. Coffee is the
perfect addition to my breakfast.
2. You can't spend so much money on shoes if you don't have a job. Wake up and smell
3. This aspirin might help you with your headache.
4. If you don't want to get fat, you should eat chocolate in moderation.
5. A compliment from the boss is a good stimulant for a hard-working employee. Glossary 词汇表
Wake up and smell the a stimulant the caffeine a psychoactive drug an energy drink insomnia indigestion high blood pressure a withdrawal symptom an addiction in moderation diabetes productivity
Proton Pump Inhibitor Attitudes and Usage: A Patient Survey Malcolm Robinson, MD and Kimberly Shaw, BA ABSTRACT Four hundred adults receiving proton pump approximately once every three days. Despite the widelyinhibitors (PPIs) were interviewed in the first quarter ofheld impression that PPI therapy renders all patients2001 regarding their medication usage patterns, perceivedasympt
SINDROME DE ABSTINENCIA ALCOHOLICA Forma grave de presentacion: delirium tremens Dra. Marina Risso, Gómez, M. Ferreirós Gago, L. Lamenza, C. Mansilla, V. Orellana, F. Seybold, S. Presentación del caso Se presenta paciente de sexo masculino, 36 años de edad, multitatuado, con antecedentes de etilismo crónico de más de 10 años de evolución, que ingresa al servicio de Emer