Republic of Korea
Acceptance Conditions Letter-Post
1. Small packets and letters containing articles subject to customs duty
(1) Maximum weight limit: 2 kilograms (2) Letters containing articles subject to customs duty. Whether admitted or not: Yes.
(3) Number of CN23 customs declarations needed:
It is not required when the value of the contents is less than 300 SDR.
(4) The CN23 customs declaration should be attached to the outside of postal items. (5) Languages accepted for CN22 labels and CN23 customs declarations: English (6) In the case that merchandise contents are not correctly stated on the CN22 label, it is
necessary to attach a CN23 customs declaration or invoice.
2. Express items. Whether admitted or not: Yes 3. Insured letters. Whether admitted or not: Yes
(1) Maximum insured value: 4,000 SDR (2) Concerning insured letters containing articles subject to customs duty, please refer to
4. Request for withdrawal from the post, alteration, or correction of address.
Whether admitted or not: Yes Office to which requests must be sent: For airmail: Seoul I.P.O.
5. Registered items in closed envelops containing valuables.
6. Letter-post items retained or addressed to poste restante. Period of retention: 30 days 7. M bags
(1) Whether the address label of special bags of printed paper requires a CN22 label: In
(2) CN23 customs declarations and other accompanying forms should be attached to the
(1) Monthly or weekly journals are admitted for importation to the extent of three copies
(2) Radioactive materials can be mailed in an air registered letter. (3) Infectious substances can be mailed in an air registered letter. (4) Printed matter or small packets with International Business Reply Service can be
mailed. (Maximum weight is limited to 2 kilograms.
(5) International registered mail weighing up to 2 kilograms with International Business
Acceptance Conditions Parcel-Post
1. Parcels under the conditions of the Convention and the Parcel Post Regulations
(1) Maximum size and weight limit admitted
Size: 1.5 m in length or 3 m in length and greatest circumference Weight: 20 kilograms
Size: 1.5 m in length or 3 m in length and greatest circumference Weight: 20 kilograms
2. Number of CN23 customs declarations needed: 2 3. Languages accepted for CN22 label and CN23 customs declarations: English 4. Express items. Whether admitted or not: No 5. Insured parcels. Whether admitted or not: Yes
6. Request for withdrawal from the post, alteration or correction of address.
7. Delivery of parcels : Delivery to the addressee’s address 8. Advice of delivery for ordinary parcels: Yes 9. Period of retention for parcels
(1) Parcels for which a notice could be sent to the addressee
Normal period: 15 days Exceptional period: 45 days
(2) Parcels for which a notice could not be sent to the addressee or addressed to poste
Acceptance Conditions EMS
1. Service area: Entire territory
2. Maximum size and weight limit admitted
(1) Size: 1.5 m in length or 3 m in length and greatest circumference (2) Weight: 30 kilograms
(1) Documentation for business use: Description “Business Papers” (2) Other items: 1 CN22 label or 1 CN23 customs declaration. If the item includes
merchandise, 1 commercial invoice. If the item includes articles except merchandise, 1 Proforma invoice as whenever required.
4. Number of CN23 customs declarations needed: 1 5. Languages accepted for CN22 labels and CN23 customs declarations: Korean or
6. Days of the week on which EMS items are delivered:
From Monday to Saturday (including holidays)
. In case of dutiable items, the item may be received
(2) To a P. O. Box: Yes (3) To a Post Office counter: No(excluding at office of exchange).
8. Name of EMS service: EMS
(1) EMS may contain the following animals. The addressee in Korea has to confirm
individually with Korean Quarantine as to which insects can be accepted before sending them. - bees, leeches and silkworms; - parasites and destroyers of noxious insects intended for control of such insects and
exchanged between officially recognized institutions;
- flies of the family Drosophilidae for biomedical research exchanged between officially
(2) EMS items weighing up to 2 kilograms with International Business Reply Service can
Please also see the following information about prohibited articles.
Articles Prohibited under the Universal Postal Convention and Other Such Regulations
Articles Prohibited to be Mailed by Postal Law
Hazardous Materials Prohibited in International Mail
2.1 Articles prohibited or admitted conditionally
2.1.1 For reason of public security
18.104.22.168 Prohibited Articles
○ Articles contrary to public security…Articles liable to divulge national secrets or to offer
information to the enemy; documents, books, printed papers, engravings or other articles contrary to public security
2.1.2 For health reasons 22.214.171.124 Prohibited Articles
○ Narcotics…Opium, morphine, cocaine and other narcotics ○ Stimulants…Stimulants ○ Meat, meat products…Beef and beef products, deer meat and deer products, mutton
and mutton products, ostrich meat and kangaroo meat
○ Poisons, microbes…Poisons, poisonous liquids and pathogenic microbes when
exchanged for medical or scientific purposes between medical organizations authorized by the Government.
○ Livestock, etc.…Dead livestock as well as meat, bones, skin and hair of livestock if
○ Meat, meat products…Pork and pork products, fresh poultry meat and heat-treated
poultry product require a quarantine certificate.
○ Alcoholic beverages…Alcoholic beverages can be imported up to 1 bottle (1 liter) for
the purpose of personal use or gift. All kinds of alcoholic beverages are subject to alcohol tax and education tax.
2.1.3 For the protection of animals and plants 126.96.36.199 Prohibited Articles
○ Insects…Insects harmful to livestock or to plants ○ Seeds, stems, roots…Seeds, underground stems and roots of plants harmful to plants
○ Grains…Grains (Except rice) See 188.8.131.52 “Plants” ○ Fruits…Fruits excluding citrus fruits except limes, persimmons, grapes, strawberries
and melons See also 184.108.40.206 “Plants” and “Fruits”.
○ Vegetables…Vegetables excluding tomatoes and pumpkins See also 220.127.116.11
○ Bees, leaches and silkworm eggs…Bees, leeches and silkworm eggs, if exchanged
between officially recognized institutions.
○ Plants…Plants The term "Plants" means grains such as rice, fruits, vegetables and
others as specified in the Plant Protection Act. shall be based on the information for phytosanitary requirements in other countries that is available at a plant protection station under the Plant Export Quarantine Regulations established in 1950 by Ministerial Notification No. 231 of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Note: Please ask at the nearest plant protection station. When exporting rice for
commercial use, the sender shall submit necessary documentation to the nearest Regional Agricultural Administration Office or the District Agriculture Office.
○ Seeds, roots, seedlings…Vegetable seeds, plants with edible seeds, flower seeds,
roots of plants and other nursery seeds or seedlings, when imported by schools, institutions and persons authorized to do so by the Government. See also 18.104.22.168 “Seeds, stems, roots” and 22.214.171.124 “Plants”.
○ Rice…Rice can be imported up to 5 kg. See also 126.96.36.199“Grains”and 188.8.131.52
○ Fruits…Citrus fruits such as mandarins, lemons or oranges can be imported in
compliance with the following conditions: - Except those grown in Kyushu and Okinawa - Accompanied with a certificate of origin issued by the competent authorities - Not mixed with different items in one container or box - The above-mentioned container or box should be the original one used for shipment
Limes can not be imported even if they meet all the specified requirements.
See also 184.108.40.206“Fruits”and 220.127.116.11 “Plants”.
○ Vegetables…Tomatoes can be imported in compliance with the following conditions:
- Except these grown in Kyushu and Okinawa - Accompanied with a certificate of origin issued by the competent authorities - Not mixed with different items in one container or box - The above-mentioned container or box should be the original one used for shipment
See also 18.104.22.168“Vegetables”and 22.214.171.124 “Plants”.
2.1.4 For special reasons concerning the control of weapons, etc. 126.96.36.199 Prohibited articles
○ Weapons…Sabers and swords for military use and firearms ○ Ammunition, matches…firing caps and loaded metal cartridges for the portable
firearms, non-explosive parts of artillery fuses, and matches.
2.1.5 For reasons such as State monopolies, etc. 188.8.131.52 Prohibited articles
○ Salt…Salt ○ Manufacture of tobacco products…machines, tools and papers intended solely for the
○ Tobacco, ginseng…Tobacco, ginseng and its seeds, if imported by the Government or
2.1.6 For other reasons 184.108.40.206 Prohibited articles
○ Counterfeit money, etc.…Counterfeit, defaced or imitation coins, paper currency and
banknotes. Machines, tools and materials for the manufacture of coins, paper currency and banknotes.
○ Articles infringing rights of patents, trademarks, etc.…Articles infringing rights of
patents, designs, trademarks or literary properties
○ Miscellaneous…Counterfeit postage stamps, weights and measures, articles for the
○ Recording devices and video recorders……Articles contrary to the Constitution that
constitutes the fundamental principles of democracy, national prestige and interests, morals, customs, public safety and order
○ Currency…Paper money, banknotes and coins (As to currency for the purpose of
display or collection, see also 220.127.116.11 “Valuable items”.
○ Valuable items…Valuable items such as securities of any kind payable to bearer,
platinum, gold and silver, whether manufactured or not, precious stones, jewels or other valuable articles can be imported in compliance with the conditions prescribed under the Customs rules.
○ Journals…Monthly or weekly journals are admitted for importation to the extent of
three copies per person and per issue; they are subject to a permit from the government if they exceed the limit of three copies.
○ Textile products…Textile products such as cloth, clothes, shirts, neckties and
handkerchiefs are permitted in case those sent for the purpose of sample or personal use.
○ Telecommunication equipment……Telecommunication equipment requires approval
from the competent authorities in the Republic of Korea. This does not apply to cellular phones sent between individuals.
○ Wireless equipment……Wireless equipment shall undergo testing established by the
competent authorities, except that imported for research and development purposes, and which is already approved in the Republic of Korea.
ATLA 35 , 641–659, 2007 641 Systematic Reviews of Animal Experiments DemonstratePoor Human Clinical and Toxicological Utility Animal Consultants International, London, UK Summary — The assumption that animal models are reasonably predictive of human outcomes provides the basis for their widespread use in toxicity testing and in biomedical research aimed at developing cures for human dise
A small medical kit: Anti-histamine cream/tablets for insect bites Imodium or similar for mild cases of the runs Clothing: Miscellaneous: LUGGAGE: A soft carry bag is recommended or a backpack. You cannot bring a suitcase, as it will not fit into the lockers on the truck. Also a small day bag for your camera, water bottle etc. PHOTOGRAPHY: There are occ